Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
This is SunRain Plone Theme
You are here: Home / Collections / Carriages

Carriages

The carriage museum is one of the most important in Italy, not only for the variety and richness of the pieces available but also for their excellent conditions.

During restoration works, the carriages only underwent  minimum maintenance, thanks to the experienced care of Mr Ettore Aspetti.
The collection of Piacenza was initially born thanks to a considerable donation (thirty carriages) by count Silvestro Brondelli di Brondello, who, in 1948, gave to the Municipality the collection inherited from his uncle, a refined collector and expert in carriages, count Dionigi Barattieri di San Pietro, following his uncle’s will too.
Through time several pieces were added, some were donated, others were purchased by the Museum.
This remarkable collection is displayed in the subterranean of the palace, and was opened to the public partly in 1990 and finally inaugurated in1998.
It contains several specimens chronologically ordered from 1700 to the era of engines, besides a funeral hearse, three specimens of Sacred Carriage, a fire brigade carriage, a ladder carriage, a series of children’s pushchairs and prams, a beautiful Sicilian carriage and a sledge
Some clothes are also displayed.


Gala Berline  half of the 18th century

Gala Berline  half of the 18th century


The berline was invented in Berlin at the half of the 17th century. Depending on its importance it may be classified into: Gala Berline and Grand Gala Berline.
The Gala Berline on display is one of the oldest in the collection of Palazzo Farnese. Manufactured by  F. Loyer A Turin, as shown by the brand on the hinder leaf springs, it has a convex roof and eight windows, all with movable glasses; the linear shapes are enhanced  by a gilded frame which goes along the sides of the carriage. Besides the coachman’s seat, it is also supplied with a bench for the valets. You may get on the Berline by means of a fold in step covered, as the interior, with  red silk and velvet.
On the doors there is the painting of a coat of arms which might refer to its probable owner, a bishop appointed as Honorary Prelate.


Calèche-Barouche 1828-30

Calèche-Barouche 1828-30

This carriage is one of the most valuable pieces of the collection. The coach body has a curved, “bateau” shape (or “ gondola-like”, still in empire style); it has a double system of springs that makes travelling more comfortable for passengers; the collapsible hood has a rigid superior leaf spring arch, which makes it look like the prototype patented in 1804 by the English Elliot. There are four passengers seats but they may become two extracting the front leather cover. The driver’s seat could also be removed to allow saddle drive. The original colours(blue and amaranth) were restored thanks to  careful restoration works. It is branded  “Thomas Baptiste – Paris – 3356”, a coach maker working in Paris between  1828 and 1830.

Share |